Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Goth Girl Rising Review

Goth Girl Rising by Barry Lyga

Time is a funny thing in the hospital. In the mental ward. You lose track of it easily. After six months in the Maryland Mental Health Unit, Kyra Sellers, a.k.a. Goth Girl, is going home. Unfortunately, she’s about to find out that while she was away, she lost track of more than time.

Kyra is back in black, feeling good, and ready to make up with the only person who’s ever appreciated her for who she really is.

But then she sees him. Fanboy. Transcended from everything he was into someone she barely recognizes.
And the anger and memories come rushing back.

There’s so much to do to people when you’re angry.
Kyra’s about to get very busy.


2.5 out of 5 stars

Goth Girl Rising is the sequel to The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl.

Kyra is released from the hospital after six months. When she gets home, she finds out that Fanboy never tried to contact her at all... so she wants to get revenge. Then she sees the comic she helped him with is published in the school's literary magazine... so now she's even more mad. She spends her time trying to think of ways to bring him down.

I have discovered that there is a book that's just too teen for me- not because the writing is on a lower reading level, but because the character is just too teen angsty. It took me forever to get through this book because I found Kyra so annoying that I had to keep putting it down. She's the kind of self absorbed and judgmental that only teens can be. I might have sympathized with Kyra if I had been 16 but, even then, I don't know that I would have liked her. 

Not liking the character was hard, because the whole book was nothing but how Kyra thought and felt about every little thing. There wasn't much of a plot. Destroying Fanboy wasn't really something she was actively pursuing but was more of a way to work through her feelings.

I haven't read The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl, but it didn't hinder my ability to read this book. Kyra tells you over and over the important events that play a part in this book pretty much from the beginning. While I've heard that it's much better than this one, I just don't think I'd ever go back to it.

I ended up giving Goth Girl Rising 2.5 stars because I didn't like the book, but I think that's really just because the character really was a fairly realistic teenager and I just can't get into that. I had no problem with the way the author wrote, but I didn't like the teen-ness of the character. I do think that I'm going to have to research more, though, before I read any more by this author just to be sure I can stand the character.

No comments:

Post a Comment