Saturday, December 1, 2012

Wicked Business Review

Wicked Business by Janet Evanovich

When Harvard University English professor and dyed-in-the-wool romantic Gilbert Reedy is mysteriously murdered and thrown off his fourth-floor balcony, Lizzy and Diesel take up his twenty-year quest for the Luxuria Stone, an ancient relic believed by some to be infused with the power of lust. Following clues contained in a cryptic nineteenth-century book of sonnets, Lizzy and Diesel tear through Boston catacombs, government buildings, and multimillion-dollar residences, leaving a trail of robbed graves, public disturbances, and spontaneous seduction.


4 out of 5 stars

Wicked Business is the second book in the Lizzy and Diesel series.

When a professor ends up dead by less than natural means, Diesel goes to Lizzy for help... this time looking for the Luxuria Stone. But they aren't the only ones looking. Wulf and his minion Hatchet are after the stone, as well as a new adversary.

Wicked Business, and the Lizzy and Diesel series in general thus far, is not my favorite. That being said, I still liked it.

The biggest problem for me is that I just don't feel like I know Lizzy. Unlike Stephanie Plum, Lizzy and her personality don't make any impression on me. I had actually forgotten almost everything about her between reading Wicked Appetite and reading Wicked Business. While I remembered that she worked in a bakery, I had forgotten that she could sense magical objects- the more important of the details to remember.

While Diesel already existed in the Between the Numbers books in the Stephanie Plum series, he's different here. He's no longer the mysterious guy that may or may not have some magical powers. Now, while he's still got those powers, he's not all that mysterious. I guess that goes with making him a main character.

I'm definitely going to continue reading these books as they come out, but I'm a huge fan of Janet Evanovich. This isn't her best, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment