Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Candidates Review

The Candidates by Inara Scott

Dancia Lewis has a secret problem: whenever she sees someone threaten a person she cares about, it's a disaster." "Cars skid. Structures collapse. Usually someone gets hurt. So Dancia does all she can to avoid getting close to anyone, hoping to suppress her powers and stay under the radar. But when recruiters from the prestigious Delcroix Academy offer her a scholarship, she accepts. After all, it's a school for diplomats' kids and prodigies, not B students with uncontrollable telekinetic tendencies. Or is it?  

3 out of 5 stars

The Candidates is the first book in the Delcroix Academy series.

Dancia has a power that she doesn't understand and can't control. When she feels like someone she cares about is threatened, her power comes out and someone always gets hurts... so she has kept to herself in order to protect those around her. Then, for seemingly no reason, she's recruited by Delcroix Academy, a local private school that seems a million miles away from where she is. Everyone that goes there has a special talent- except Dancia and her new friend Jack. Why do they want her and what would they do to keep her there?

I probably would not have read this book, but I was trying out Overdrive, the library e-book app, and so it was free. I like YA but tend to steer clear of ones that have characters that are 14 or 15. Usually, they tend to read younger and I find it hard to get into them. I was pleasantly surprised by this one, though. Other than a few times, I didn't have a problem with how it read.

It wasn't a hard story to figure out. Because we know from reading the description that Dancia has telekinetic abilities, we know that's why she's at Delcroix even if she doesn't. It more or less is every stereotype of boarding school books- there are no parents to stop them from doing things and there is something going on at the school.

Dancia was pretty typical. She thinks she's on the lower side of average, but everyone else thinks she's super hot and amazing. She even catches the eye of the gorgeous recruiter who is a junior (she's a freshman). I guess I don't mind that these characters are so beautiful that everyone wants them... I just wish there wasn't that falsely modest "I'm so plain. Why would anyone like me?" deal. That annoys me more than anything.

I kind of enjoyed Dancia's friends. They were not they usual goth girl and gay boy. Instead, they were two average girls with perky personalities. I also liked Jack. He was fairly open with Dancia and that doesn't happen much in these books.

Overall, it wasn't a bad book. It was a fairly easy read. I found the story less than thrilling but it wasn't annoying, so it was okay. I don't know that I'd buy the next one and the library app doesn't have it. Maybe I'll find it in book form at the library or will get it on clearance someday.

*Picture and description from Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment