Thursday, January 17, 2013

Covet Review

Covet by J.R. Ward

Redemption isn’t a word Jim Heron knows much about—his specialty is revenge, and to him, sin is all relative. But everything changes when he becomes a fallen angel and is charge with saving the souls of seven people from the seven deadly sins. And failure is not an option. Vin DiPietro long ago sold his soul to his business, and he’s good with that — until fate intervenes in the form of a tough- talking, Harley-riding, self-professed savior. But then he meets a woman who will make him question his destiny, his sanity, and his heart—and he has to work with a fallen angel to win her over and redeem his own soul.

3 out of 5 stars

Covet is the first book in the Fallen Angels series. 
 
The angels and the demons agree to let one person decide the fate of the world by saving or not saving 7 people... and that person is Jim Heron. When he dies on his job site, he finds out that he is charged with helping 7 people and their deadly sins. The first is Vin DiPietro, a man obsessed with money and what it can buy him.

This is the first book by J. R. Ward that I've read... and I really think it's going to be a while before I read any more. While I didn't think the book was bad, I thought it was boring. The story didn't pick up for me until more than halfway through.

Covet was one of those incredibly serious paranormal romance books. It's actually not my favorite kind. While I don't like my paranormal romance characters to be too silly, I do prefer them to be a little less stiff and serious.

I also thought some of the language was weird. Maybe a lot of phrases or words are regional, but to me they sounded old-fashioned. The one in particular that I remember is referring to the face as the puss. Jim was 40 as I think Vin was, too. Marie-Terese was in her early 30s. It just didn't work for me.

Speaking of characters, I just didn't feel them. I was not invested in their lives or what might happen to them as the story progressed. The only character I cared about was Dog. I have a fear of animals in books because there is a chance they might die. While this book was paranormal romance, it wasn't the kind where I knew the animal wouldn't die.

The romance wasn't interesting to me. In fact, it actually made the story less interesting. Jim didn't have to do any convincing to get Vin on the right path. There were no internal obstacles to saving Vin's soul. Vin sees Marie-Terese and it's love at first sight. He's willing to give up everything right there. There is only slightly more resistance on Marie-Terese's part... but the book takes place over 3 or 4 days so she didn't do much resisting.

The external obstacles were kind of lame as well. We don't even get to see the demons go after Vin. It's over so quickly.

Overall, I didn't dislike Covet but I don't feel inclined to read any more of this series. I have one other book by J. R. Ward that's part of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, but I don't think I'm going to read it any time soon.

*Picture and description from Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment