Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Waking Up Married Review

Waking Up Married by Mira Lyn Kelly

Her first thought: "Who are you?"

It's the morning after her cousin's bachelorette party in Vegas and Megan Scott wakes up with the mother of all hangovers. Even worse, she's in a stranger's penthouse having woken up with something else as well - a funny, arrogant, sexy...husband!
Up until now, finding even a boyfriend had seemed impossible - been there, got the broken heart, sworn off men for good. Then a few martinis with Carter...no, Connor Reed and she's gone from first meet to marriage in one night!
Megan wants a lawyer. But Connor's shocking bombshell?

"I don't want a divorce."

Get on the Kindle

3 out of 5 stars

I don't usually read Harlequin books. In my head, I picture every book filled with incredibly cheesy dialogue with a plot about some girl being forced together with some prince or billionaire. The Kiss imprint is newer, though, and this book was free so I decided to shake up my reading and try it.

In the end, it's pretty much what I expected from a Harlequin book. Conner, the billionaire of the book, convinces a drunk Megan that marrying him for convenience is a really good idea. When Megan sobers up, she realizes what happened and wants a divorce. Ignoring her wishes, Conner convinces her again that she should move across state lines and live with him for a while to see just how convenient it will be. But when she starts to fall for him, he pulls back. He won't let her go completely, though, and she has to sit in limbo until he realizes that he's in love with her, too.

The characters, for what they are, were pretty good and less stereotypical than I actually expected (though they were still stereotypes). Megan had her sassy moments and Conner had a couple thoughtful moments. Of course, they constantly talk about how hot the other one is.

The dialogue isn't as cheesy as the books of yore. I didn't find myself cringing at stupid lines all the time. It wasn't hard to get through because I didn't have to put it down and groan at all the stupid and embarrassing things going on.

There's not much to say about this book really. While it felt more contemporary than my idea of Harlelquin books, it was still what I would consider typical of the genre. If you like this kind of book, you'll probably enjoy it. If the Harlequin-style pushy and forceful man thing isn't your thing, this will not be something you like. For me, I didn't hate it but didn't love it. It was okay but nothing I'd pay for.



No comments:

Post a Comment