Monday, January 13, 2014

My Favorites of 2013 - Television

I got rid of cable at the beginning of 2013 and have since relied on an over-the-air signal and Hulu and Netflix for all my shows. Still, I probably watch more TV than anything else. For that reason, I couldn't just pick one or even two favorite TV shows. There are so many favorites for different reasons that I just couldn't narrow it down, so I have a few categories.

Favorite New Show


My favorite new show of the year had to be Reign. Maybe that's because I was so uninterested before it started. I didn't have high hopes for it but it's actually really interesting. Sure, it's historically inaccurate- what do you expect from the CW? But it's got more than the love triangle. Mary is a great strong character.

 Favorite Returning Show


Out of all the shows that were coming back in the fall, I was looking forward to The Vampire Diaries the most. Even now, I'm surprised at just how much I like the show because I hated it at first. I still think the first part of the first season sucks, but it's been consistently good since then.

Favorite Procedural Show


I love procedurals. I really consider them a different type of show than most because I can pick up on any episode and not feel lost. Criminal Minds is my favorite. I became obsessed with it in 2013, even going back to old seasons on Netflix.

Favorite Guilty Pleasure Show


Pretty Little Liars is one of those shows I can't believe I watch. If I think too hard about it, it makes no sense at all. It's also kind of dull... and then they do something to suck me back in. The cliffhanger in the fall brought me back. However, with ABC Family's dick move- requiring a cable service provider to watch their shows online- I won't be able to finish the season for a while unless I visit my mom.

Favorite Foreign Show


This year, I really got into Korean dramas. There are so many on Hulu and my favorite one is Shut Up Flower Boy Band. It's actually from 2012, but I saw it at the beginning of this year and it's still my favorite now. It's also got some great music, including my favorite song of the year.

My Favorite Often-Watched Show


I like to have background noise while I do things. The problem with not having cable is that all the things I used to have for background noise, like HGTV, aren't there anymore. So, when I don't know what else to watch, I watch Daria. Sometimes I watch it. Sometimes it's on in the background when I'm on the internet or doing something else. I never get tired of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment