Monday, September 3, 2012

Paranormalcy Review

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.


So much for normal.


4.5 out of 5 stars
  
Paranormalcy is the first book in the Paranormalcy series

Evie's world is relatively normal for a girl living in a center for paranormal creatures. She loves high school television dramas, shopping online, and talking with her best friend. Paranormals begin dying, though, and no one knows how or why. There is a break-in at the IPCA. Evie begins to question her own place in the agency and where she fits in with the deaths.

I thought the story and characters in Paranormalcy were pretty solid. Evie is a good and likeable character with only a minimal amount of whining (and how can you have a teen girl as a character without just a little whining?). Her personality was more fleshed out than most characters I've read in other first-person YA paranormal books and I felt more invested in her. Lend was also likeable, though not quite as fleshed out. I also liked the secondary characters and actually felt something for them later in the book.

The story itself was also good. I liked the world of paranormals that the author created. Though it wasn't overly complicated and left a lot of room for the real world, it was well done. I never had to put down the book in frustration because the story was ridiculous or the characters were saying something stupid. Everything made sense and nothing happened that seemed unnecessary.

I'm seriously having a hard time thinking about anything I didn't like in this book. If I had to be really picky and find something, I'd say that I've never cared for the use of dreams as ways to get information across. But even that didn't irritate me in this book.

Paranormalcy is one of the best books that I've read recently. While I didn't necessarily walk away thinking I loved it, I definitely wanted to read the next one before I even finished this one. Too bad I don't have the next one and have to wait till I get through more books that I already have. I'm actually a little sad about that.


*Picture and description from Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment