Friday, September 14, 2012

Shiver Review

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Grace and Sam share a kinship so close they could be lovers or siblings. But they also share a problem. When the temperature slips towards freezing, Sam reverts to his wolf identity and must retreat into the woods to protect his pack. He worries that eventually his human side will fade away and he will be left howling alone at the lonely moon. A stirring supernatural teen romance.

4 out of 5 stars



Shiver is the first book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series.

 When Grace was little, she was attacked by wolves but one of them saved her. For years afterward, she watched the wolves from her backyard, able to recognize her wolf by his yellow eyes. Then a boy from her school is attacked, dies and then disappears from the morgue. Hunters go after the wolves and Grace finds hers, now a boy, shot on her porch.

Grace had suspected that he was a werewolf and she works to keep him in his human form as they finally have a chance to experience romance. There are also some outside threats that can destroy their happiness that they are desperately working against.

Out of all the paranormal creatures out there, werewolves are one of my least favorites. Sometimes I will read a book with the focus on weres, generally when everyone is talking about it. I've heard a lot about this book since it was published and I even bought it a while back, but I didn't read it until now.

Actually, I thought the take on werewolves was an interesting one. The cold weather turns them into wolves s and warm weather turns them into humans until a time comes when the warm weather no longer turns them back. Their initial change after a bit was less original, but also interesting.

I liked Grace and Sam. While they fell in love instantly as two humans, it was easy to accept because of their long history of girl and wolf. What I think I liked most about Grace was the fact that she was proactive when something needed to be done. As for Sam, aside from maybe a little too much whining, I liked that he wasn't overbearing and pushy. I also liked some of the minor characters, especially Isabel.

My main problem was that it seemed like nothing was happening through a lot of the book. I know that it was devoted to their relationship, but I got tired of it after a while. I also didn't like the switching on POV much. Especially in the middle when I was getting tired of the relationship stuff, I would have to double check to see who was talking.

I actually wasn't sure what rating I was going to give this book. I liked a lot about this book, but it dragged for a while. I gave it a 4 because, ultimately, I thought the good outweighed the bad and I did like it.

*Picture and description from Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment