Friday, August 3, 2012

Boys that Bite Review

Boys that Bite by Mari Mancusi

My mom is so going to kill me if she finds out I'm turning into a vampire...

Okay, so technically she can't because I'm immortal. Well, not yet. See, due to the worst case of mistaken identity with my dark-side-loving twin sister at a Goth hangout called Club Fang, Magnus, a vampire hottie, went for my innocent neck instead of hers. Now, if I don't reverse it in time, Magnus will be my blood mate forever and I'm doomed to be a blood-gulping, pasty, daylight-hating vampire. Believe me, it seriously bites!

After the unfortunate slaying of the vampire leader, it's up to me, my sister, and Magnus to find the one thing that can solve my problem--the Holy Grail. No joke. I seriously hope I can get out of this on time because, somehow, I scored the hottest prom date in my school, the mouth-watering Jake Wilder. And I do NOT want to be a vampire for the prom--let alone the rest of eternity.


3 out of 5 stars  

Boys that Bite is the first book in The Blood Coven series. This cover and description are from the version that I have, published in 2006. It does have an updated cover and an updated description for the book, but I chose this one even though it's not current because it more accurately represents what this book is like. If you are annoyed by the way the voice of the character on the back of the book, you will find the inside even more annoying.

Sunshine McDonald is the good, sweet, preppy girl who loves nothing more than her average life of field hockey and lusting after the popular senior boy. Her twin sister, Rayne, is a standard goth chick with dreams of becoming a vampire. One night, Rayne convinces Sunny to join her at a nearby goth club, where Sunny is mistaken for her sister and turned into a vampire. She finds out that her sister has been studying and training to be a vampire for months- she signed a contract and everything. 
There is a way to become human again before her full transformation is done, though. The pure blood from The Holy Grail will cure her. She and Magnus, her vampire blood-mate, travel to find it and Sunny has to decide if she still wants to be human.

There really isn't much about this book that isn't in the description other than a bunch of "I love him... Do I love him?" back and forth. Most of what makes or breaks this book is the voice of the character. Personally, I found it annoying.. but not nearly as bad as Vampire Kisses, though similar in a way.  

I also thought there were way too many pop culture references that really date the book. There were also quite a few that I didn't believe the character of Sunny would use. There was a Star Trek one and and Anne Rice one. I doubt that someone who openly disliked her sister's interest in vampires would reference Anne Rice. Almost everyone and everything was compared to some pop culture thing. There was also quite a bit taken from Buffy by saying that it was based on the novel's mythology.

What bothered me the most was the actual concept of this book. In a case of mistaken identity, Sunny is turned into a vampire instead of her identical twin sister. Rayne went through months of training and classes, had a huge text to read, did blood tests and compatibility testing. Somehow, though, the vampire that's supposed to turn her just shows up at a club and is like "Hey, let's do this thing" instead of setting up a time for it or something that would have been as equally official as the training. 

I gave this book a 3 because, aside from the voice of the character, it was a fairly average, non-offensive book that was a quick read. I wasn't constantly irritated the way I was when I read Vampire Kisses. It is similarly juvenile, but there is some mild sex talk that some people may not feel is appropriate for the younger teens. I do actually have 3 more from this series that I got on clearance, but I'm not really hurrying to read them right now, though I probably will sometime.

*Picture and description from Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment