Saturday, August 25, 2012

Fallen Angel Review

Fallen Angel by Heather Terrell

Ellie was never particularly good at talking to boys—or anyone other than her best friend and fellow outcast, Ruth. Then she met Michael.

Michael is handsome, charming, sweet. And totally into Ellie. It’s no wonder she is instantly drawn to him. But Michael has a secret. And he knows Ellie is hiding something, too. They’ve both discovered they have powers beyond their imagining. Powers that are otherworldly.

Ellie and Michael are determined to uncover what they are, and how they got this way... together. But the truth has repercussions neither could have imagined. Soon they find themselves center stage in an ancient conflict that threatens to destroy everything they love. And it is no longer clear whether Ellie and Michael will choose the same side.


3 out of 5 stars

Fallen Angel is the first book in the Fallen Angel series.

 
Ellie has dreams of flying. She can also see things when she touches someone. Despite this, she leads a normal life in a small town in Maine. Then she meets Michael and he opens her eyes to the powers that she has- that they both have. At first she's content with just exploring the power and being with Michael but, when danger shows up, she has to find out what she is.

This is the 3rd book I've read in a row that has taken place in Maine. I would love to read a book with an original location.

This book had a very very slow beginning and middle. I almost gave up, but I really don't like abandoning books if I can help it. The action doesn't really pick up until 2/3 through, but I ended up being interested in the mythology that was finally being created. Then end battle was kind of quick and really served to set up the next book. I'm not sure if the second book is the last.

Really the worst part of this book was Ellie. I really did not like her. In a way, she was probably more like a real person than a lot of other characters I've read, but she's like a person I would not want to be around. She was really condescending, especially with her friend Ruth. She would also get really angry in some situations that I felt seemed like the wrong emotion. It was like the author couldn't think of the natural way for her to respond- fear, panic, mildly upset, anxious, etc.- and defaulted to extreme anger... like 'I'm not going to talk to you for days' anger when it didn't seem appropriate.

I didn't really like Michael that much, either. He was really pushy in everything. He forces Ellie to confront the truth when she doesn't want to. Again, he seemed more real than a lot of other characters but not in a way that I like.

For some reason, the blood sharing in the book seemed kind of gross to me. I just kept thinking about diseases.

In the end, I actually didn't dislike this book despite the fact that I didn't like either of the main characters. When the book finally got into action instead of Ellie and Michael's relationship, I actually enjoyed it. It just wasn't enough to make it more than an okay book.

*Picture and description from Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment