Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Need Review

Need by Carrie Jones

Pain shoots through my head. Fireworks. Explosions. All inside my brain. The white world goes dark and I know what's about to happen.

Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.

She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.

In this creepy, compelling breakout novel, Carrie Jones delivers romance, suspense, and a creature you never thought you'd have to fear


3 out of 5 stars

Need is the first book in the Need series.


Zara's stepdad dies and she just can't cope. Her mother sends her to live with her stepgrandmother in Maine, which only makes Zara feel abandoned. But Zara immediately makes friends and has all the hottest guys interested in her. She likes one of the guys, Nick, as well and she starts to feel like Maine is becoming her home.

She has a problem, though. Someone has been following her since she was in Charleston and he wants something from her. Zara's life is turned upside down as finds out that there is a supernatural world around her and she has her own part to play in it.

Need is definitely one of those Twilight-esque YA paranormal books. I don't really like to compare books to Twilight like it was the start of this genre, but some books are obviously written with Twilight as their model. If that's the case, I feel like there should be an effort to be better than the original. I didn't really feel like Need reached that goal. To me, Need was mediocre.

While the author attempted to give Zara a personality, especially through the interest in phobias and Amnesty International, she still fell flat. Everyone else was worse, particularly Nick... and it's bad when your love interest is the least dynamic character in the book. Obviously, because the characters were uninteresting, I had no interest in Zara and Nick's relationship that seemed to come about in just a few days.

The author was also not good at creating any mystery or suspense. The few big revelations in Zara's life were things that I knew early in the book. While Zara may have been shocked, I was not. I also knew so early that, by the time it was revealed, I just didn't really care anymore.

I actually feel nothing for this book. I didn't dislike it but didn't like it, which is why it's a three star book. When I was done, I was like "Eh." It was so average it completely blends into the background. I do have the next two in the series and, while I don't dread reading them, I'm not inclined to read them anytime soon.

*Picture and Description from Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment