Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Death, Doom and Detention Review

Death, Doom and Detention by Darynda Jones

The normal part of Lorelei MacAlister’s life didn’t just slip away quietly the day Jared Kovach came to town. Nope. The normal part of her life shattered. It exploded. It burst into a gazillion shards of fleeting light.

It went out with a bang.

Goodbye normal.

Hello dark and eerie.

While her best friend, Brooklyn, is focusing all of her energy on helping Lorelei hone her abilities, Lorelei is dealing with the reality that Satan’s second in command has taken up residence inside her body. Oh, and the fact that she has a crush on the Angel of Death. But what a beautiful death it is. If those weren’t bad enough, something sinister has come to town and it wants nothing more than to hear Lorelei’s dying breath as it strangles it out of her. Thank goodness the gang has a supernatural champion. But what happens when the only being who can save them switches sides midstream? How can a group of misfits capture one of the most powerful beings ever created? And will they find out how to bring Jared back to them before it’s too late?


3.5 out of 5 stars

Death, Doom and Detention is the second book in the Darklight series. 
Buy on Amazon | Buy on Kindle



I've become a huge fan of Darynda Jones over the last year. It's been a long time since I really enjoyed an author's writing style so much that, even if I didn't love the book, I still enjoyed reading it. That's how I feel about the Darklight series so far. I read Death and the Girl Next Door last year and was kind of disappointed in it. I didn't dislike it, but I love the Charly Davidson books and it just didn't live up to those. Death, Doom and Detention is the same, though I did like it better.

I had forgotten most of what went on by the time I picked this one up. The recap was pretty good, however. The author provided all the necessary info that I needed towards the beginning of the book without the info-dump feel. As I read, I didn't feel like I was missing any of the information that I needed to understand what was happening. I wouldn't suggest starting with this book, though.

Not a lot happened plot-wise in Death, Doom and Detention. It definitely felt like this book was a transition book. For the most part, we only discover another enemy of Lorelei's. We also discover another aspect to Lorelei's visions. There's no real progress, though, with the upcoming war or the demon inside her.

Mostly, we are just in Lorelei's head... and this is where I'm disappointed in this book. Lorelei is just so passive. She has visions, but doesn't want to work with them. In those visions, she sees people with problems like eating disorders, suicidal thoughts, and more, but doesn't try to help people. Visions that directly involve her and her situations happen, but she won't tell anyone because she doesn't want to deal with it. She's angry with her grandparents for not telling her about all this, but she doesn't seem to want to know it or do anything with it. Anything she does is because she has no choice.

Lorelei's own love interest, Jared, spends most of the book missing or hurt. What we do see is the relationship that's developing between Brooke and Cameron- as well as Glitch's jealousy. It's nice that the requisite love triangle is taking place between the secondary characters. Glitch is kind of weak, though, and his jealously consists of saying nasty things to Cameron.

One thing that did seem strange to me was just how often everyone stayed at Lorelei's. It didn't matter if it was a school night or weekend- everyone was always sleeping in Lorelei's room. Truthfully, it's not really a big deal but just one of those 'it doesn't happen in real teen life' sort of things.

Death, Doom in Detention is a pretty good book, but not great. I do like it better than the first book, but I don't really like the main character, Lorelei. Despite that, I like Darynda Jones's writing and it definitely made the book better than it could have been. I will continue reading in hopes that Lorelei will become a stronger character than she is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment