Wednesday, January 29, 2014

January Mini Reviews

While I would love to have a lot to say about everything that I read or watch, sometimes I just don't have enough to do a whole post. It could be because it's a series book, several seasons into a show, it's short, or I just like or dislike it but can't really explain why. For those things, I'm going to do mini reviews.




  • Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep - This is the first of 10 currently published books in the Elemental Assassin series. Gin is The Spider, an assassin with elemental powers. When someone targets her, she has to work with an unlikely partner to save herself. It's been a while since I read an UF book and it was a pretty good one. Gin was a strong, take-charge character, which I liked. What I didn't like was sex or almost-sex at completely inappropriate times. I definitely do want to continue with this series.
  • After School: Lucky or Not - This is a 15 minute 12 episode Korean series about a girl that gets invited to join a Pick-A-Mission club consisting of 5 boys. The missions range from stupid to creative. What I liked was that it had some stupid toilet humor but managed to not be too gross or embarrassing. The reason the girl is asked to join is a secret and it takes a dramatic turn. I watched it in one sitting and am strangely sad that it's over. I'm also interested in following 5urprise, the idol-actor group in the show, now.
  • Every Witch Way - The first couple episodes are on Hulu, so I watched them. It's in the same vein as Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Wizards of Waverly Place. Emma moves to Miami and discovers she's a witch. Maddie, the mean girl and rival for Daniel, also finds out she's a witch. It's a cute, if not the best acted, show aimed at younger teens. It's also not so incredibly stupid like Sam and Cat. I like these shows sometimes when I want to watch something but also do other stuff.
  • Flowers in the Attic (2014) - I haven't read Flowers in the Attic in about 20 years. That's really why I couldn't say much about this movie. From what I remember, it's relatively faithful to the story. I enjoyed it for what it was- a TV movie. Would I buy it on DVD? No, it wasn't that good. It's worth a watch if you like the book, though. It's infinitely better than the 1987 movie. And, personally I didn't think Heather Graham was that bad. I could totally see Corrine with crazy eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment